Sunday 10 August 2014

Quilled Rakhi

Today is Rakshya Bandhan...
Although now-a-days it is celebrated as a festival between brothers and sisters...but this days importance lies in the fact that its the full moon day(Poornima) of Shravan Month...

In different parts of India this day is celebrated differently...

At my place this day is considered as the birth day of Lord Balram who is the elder brother of Lord Krishna, and this day is celebrated as his birthday.

From mythological perspective, it is believed that once, Lord Indra was helpless and stood crushed in a battle against the demons.
Indra's wife Indrani and Guru Brihaspati tied a sacred thread on the wrist of Indra, on this auspicious day of Shravan Poornima, after which he attacked the demons with regenerated energy.

I was always confused with the idea of preparing rakhi with paper. Usually everyone wear the rakhi for a long long time unless it wears of automatically and paper can obviously wear off soon...

This time I started preparing rakhi for a different reason and made this one below...


But as I made it I just thought of making another one as below...



It took 20 strips approximately. Used paint for "Om" in the middle. 


Although I tied a different rakhi to my brother, I tied this one to my God whom I pray everyday.


The blue one I tied to my little nephew who was so excited...
Today was a day of contenment ...
And finally I thought I should post about today,stealing some time out from the busy chores...

God bless every soul with strength to fight the evil around them as well as inside them on this auspiscious day... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment